Team Roping 101
The Complete Sport from Header to Heeler
On the Ground, On Your Horse, On Target
KAYLA STARNES, endorsed by the USTRC
Here’s your go-to guide for getting started and getting good at the fast-growing sport thousands of riders—young and old, men and women—are enthusiastically pursuing, full time, spare time, or any time they can. Chock full of tips from professional team ropers Speed Williams and Rickey Green, Team Roping 101 includes:
- The nuts-and-bolts of the team roping sport—what it’s all about, including terminology, rules, and regulations.
- The lowdown on ropes, tack, and other equipment.
- What to look for in a team roping horse—from hooves to headset.
- How to handle a rope on the ground, including holding, swinging, and throwing.
- Rider pre-flight checklist—horsemanship skills you can’t rope without.
- Simple and essential drills for the team roping horse from top trainer Clinton Anderson.
- Working a mechanical steer and catching live cattle—head or heels.
- Putting together the ideal run with a partner and testing your skills against others in competition.
" This book will walk you step by step through picking out the perfect team roping horse to preparing for your first competition, and all the training in between.
—from the Foreword by Clinton Anderson
Team Roping 101
author and photographer KAYLA STARNES
, of Morgan Mill, Texas, has spent the last six years documenting and promoting the equine industry in various capacities, including as a public relations and marketing specialist and media relations liaison for the second-largest breed association in the world; as a freelance writer and photographer for magazines and trade publications; and as a project coordinator and writer for a leading performance products manufacturing conglomerate. Starnes’ writing and photography has been in print across five continents.